Cornhill Sydney’s Purpose, Mission and Vision
Purpose (why we exist): To promote expositional preaching that sharpens people’s minds, thrills people’s hearts and changes people’s lives.
Vision (where we are going): To represent the best practice and be an influential voice in the training of preachers throughout the wider Sydney evangelical network.
Mission (how we will get there): Attract and train gospel workers to develop their expositional preaching skills.
- Cornhill Sydney is based on the pattern of training begun in 1991 by the Proclamation Trust at the Cornhill Training Course in London and now also established in Glasgow and Belfast.
- In 2007 a group of Sydney ministers began to meet together to consider ways of encouraging better preaching in our churches. They decided to institute a Cornhill-type training course locally, beginning on Monday and Tuesday mornings in 2011.
- In 2012 Gavin Perkins was appointed as the first Course Director, and was instrumental in planning and implementing the Cornhill work in Sydney.
- in 2013 a second year of the course was offered for the first time.
- In 2018 Peter Ryan was appointed as the Course Director.
Affiliations and partnerships
- Cornhill Sydney works with MTS to provide an MTS-Cornhill apprenticeship. You can do the Cornhill Sydney course either as an MTS-Cornhill apprentice, or as an independent student.
- Moore Theological College (MTC) kindly provides rooms for us to use, free of charge. Cornhill Sydney is governed and managed independently from MTC.
- Cornhill Sydney is non-denominational.
Cornhill Sydney Ltd:
- is a registered company (ABN 15 146 822 442), limited by guarantee
- is registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) (ACN 146 822 442)
- has four directors: Graham Baikie, Cam Capel, Simon Manchester, David Peterson.
- Peter Ryan is our Course Director (and is employed part-time by Cornhill Sydney Ltd)
- Allan Watts is the (honorary) business manager
- A number of well-known Sydney pastors and preachers volunteer to teach at Cornhill Sydney
In 2018 Cornhill Sydney Ltd’s costs were funded (in round terms) by student fees (35%), cash donations (30%), volunteer time (20%), free use of premises (15%).
We anticipate that higher student numbers in the future will reduce the need for cash donations. So please spread the word – so that we can enroll more students.
If you would like to make a donation to Cornhill Sydney, please email email@example.com.